Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Basic words

I started to prepare my children for school by making them familiar with some of the basic words they use in beginning reading. I made books with these words and I made words cards with doubles of each word. I started with only five words and as my children recognized the words I added a couple at a time. With the word cards we played snap and memory (and much later we played Fish (but only when they could recognize and say they word i.e. read it!).

A beginning basic list: I, am, my, and, the, up, is, go, to, on, can, said, went, in, me, here

Further basic words: look, no, was, will, of, yes, for, at, all, he, she, house, out, play, saw, you, with, it, see

I also included: mum, dad and family names

It is heaps of fun playing snap and memory. I started with just recognizing the words and I would say it when they matched. Eventually they began to recognize and say the words themselves.


N.B.
Be aware that NOT EVERY CHILD is interested or ready to learn these. It MUST be kept fun and if your child isn't interested DON'T force them as this is the fastest way to turn them off learning and reading.

No comments: