Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rhymes


Nursery Rhymes and stories with rhyming words are a great way to introduce children to the idea of word families. Knowing about word families is helpful when children begin to write and read.

I use to love playing rhyming eye spy with my children on car trips.

e.g. I spy with my little eye something rhyming with flea...
Bee?
Key?
Me?
Tree?
Yes it is Tree.

We would also do a round robin where we all had to say a rhyming word when it was our turn. We would go until someone couldn't think of one or said one that didn't make sense. Young children are surprisingly good at this.

Children love feeling smarter by correcting adults and they love being tricked. I use this method with children on occasions to get sure responses!

e.g. Jack and Jill went up the ladder ("No...No...it's hill!" will come the screamed response...Trust me...works without fail!)
To fetch a pail of ....lemonade
Jack fell down and broke his cr....nose (" No...silly. It's crown. He broke his crown!")

You get the idea I'm sure. It is fun. the children are developing a sense of humour through the nonsense aspect and they love trying to invent their own crazy versions of the rhymes to make you laugh (thus promoting their imagination and sense of fun/humour)

No comments: