Monday, July 21, 2008

Mothers are important to successful reading



Now Dads don't be offended by what I am about to tell you because you may well be, and hopefully you are, exceptions to the rule.

Apparently, according to research, as recalled by David Spraggs, a presenter on 'Boys Learning, mothers play a very important role in supporting the establishment of early reading behaviours. This includes modelling positive attitudes towards reading that increase the likelihood of successful reading habits.

The main reason for this is that mothers are usually the people who read most frequently to their children and who children see using reading and writing in everyday settings.Mothers are most likely to assist with homework and hear their young school age children reading books brought home from school.

Let children also see you reading for enjoyment during your leisure time as this shows them a positive aspect of recreational reading.Its hard in a busy household to find time but I know when I was reading a book in the holidays and told my four year old,'I can't read to you at the moment, I'm reading my own book and I just need to know what happens first,' the look was priceless!

First it was indignant (how dare I not drop everything immediately for her), then it was surprise (wow you love reading and want to know the details too, mum?) and finally the look of hunger (I want to get a piece of that too!). She snuggled beside me and started asking about the book. I told her and answered all her questions until we hit a snag...I didn't know the answer to a question. She looked very disappointed and told me, 'Hurry up and read Mum, so I know!' Needless to say I was left in peace for a few minutes longer and was later able to share details of the story which we both ended up enjoying! I think my next book might be night time 'after the kids are asleep' reading though so I'm not hounded with questions. LOL!

Remember the good job you are doing parents each time you read to and with your children. You DO make a difference. Well done and keep up the great role modelling!
Jo

No comments: