Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"You are your child's Cheer Leaders"


What a delightful way to express how parents can support their children's learning and self esteem! I heard this uttered by a primary school teacher with regards to supporting your new entrant as they start to read school readers.

It was good advice and reminds all of us who are parents, that our children need our support and encouragement as they learn. Give them lots of positive affirmations (the cheers!) about what they CAN and ARE doing well not negative feedback about what they can't yet do.

She added, "Let the teacher be the coach while you cheer from the side lines".

I couldn't agree more because if anyone has the credentials to cheer the best and loudest for your child its got to be you don't you think? Well I know from my own experiences on the sidelines of the soccer field that I have the loudest voice when my child has the ball! LOL!

Jo

No comments: